Monday, January 4, 2021

What Was and What Will Be

 If you've been following my blog at all you'd be up to date on the weather in the Mid North.  It was a wet year, relative to the previous two.  Annual rainfall ALMOST got to 500mm (499.6, in fact), more than the the previous two put together.  Last summer was 'mild', once we got past xmas, and this summer is looking like going the same way.  Though, lest we get too excited, the Bureau of Meteorology says that last year was the fourth hottest on record and the present 'mild' conditions are a result of an El Nina climate event.  Bottom line, take advantage of the present conditions but keep preparing for the increasingly hot dry climate of the future.

Earth -  My previous compost and other soil amendments (gypsum, manure, straw and other mulches) have had some effect, but it's a slow process.  I've almost completed my Compost Heap the Third, and it is looking a lot more like it should than the previous two attempts.  I've brought in a load of 'healthy' soil to add to it when I scatter it around.  I've mulched around all my present beds with inches of pea straw in an effort to moderate the harsh effects of the sun.  I'm getting ready to plant out a few of my old beds once the compost is ready, a bit of like a doomsday clock for my procrastination / patience.

Air - Wind hasn't been such an issue over the past year, maximum wind speed was 'only' 75kph.  Still dessicating even in a wet year, but my previous wind break strategies appear to have worked okay.  I am factoring it into bed design and plant selection strategy and try to make all garden structures (of which there are a few) sturdy against it.

Fire - Sunlight has been my main issue again this summer.  I have tried to moderate its harsh impact by utilising partial shade of effect of existing trees, mulching heavily and using ground creepers to keep soil temperatures down (I measured soil temp at 70C on exposed soil last summer on a 40C day), laying out shade cloth over beds on the hotter days and, most recently, building an experimental shade tunnel - which appears to have worked quite well (and withstood 50km winds).  I have begun work towards using trellis structures to shelter north and southern faces of the house against the summer sun whilst still collecting heat in winter, as well as around some of the pathways near the house.  This combined with my planned network of shade tunnels for the garden beds should go a fair way towards preventing solar devastation over the next few years at least.

Water - Capture, retention and use of water has been my main focus this past year.  I think I now know what I'll be doing in the coming year to maximise the value I'll extract from every drop of water that falls on this property.  There's a lot of small and not so small projects underway so I'll give them a separate post, merely listing them here.  My main problem is what to do about controlling the excess during heavy rain events. (I've got some ideas but they need refinement).  My main projects include - use of Olla's and 'drip containers', expansion of siphon distribution, expansion and adaptiblility of rain water tanks, increasing water retention in the soil, eventual semi-automation of the system.

Wood - tree and vegetable propogation advances, planting out of perrenials, utilisation of existing and new structures to add vertical elements to the yard.

That's enough for this lengthy post.  Except to say that it's been an interesting year, the youtube revolution has accelerated in the garden sphere, and I'm looking forward to having another good year out here.

I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment